Thursday 16 May 2013

Short story: Streamside village part one

Where I live there isn't a lot around. I live in the moore, so there is just fields and the odd house. Up the road from me there is a small village with a small school. I go there with a few people, there is 150 of us. Which is a lot of children and the most we have had in years. Myself I am in the last year and will be send off at the end of the year.
Each year we were made to do an essay at the end about the overall school year. But in our.final yeah we are all given a topic and we could do anything related to that topic.
;I had finished lunch when the head teacher came in the dinning hall to request all the final years to meet in the main hall. With excitement we all ran into the main hall chattering like birds.
"This year you guys are special. All.30 of you will be given an individual essay to write. But you can present the paper in any form. You will be given a form with ur name on it. Don't show anyone and leave. You have three weeks." His booming voice annouched the new arrangements.
People around me go their forms and I was the last to get it. There were different choices but no one kept it to themselves. I took mine and went to class.
As I sat through class it became heavy everytime I thought about it. I bit my lip as the temptation ran through me. I ran home to open the damn thing.
"Stream side village" I murmmered to myself and sat on the chair near to me. The thing is this place was abbondoned when I was young and has been left to rot. No one knows why everyone left so quickly. Shaking my head I walked over to the laptop. It maybe a small village where I live but I still have WiFi. I looked up stream side village, nothing with relevance came. Only about a restaurant in Pennsylvania, it has a 4 star review. In frustration I left my house to the libary. I needed to get a start now otherwise I will never finish.
The librian was busy when I first walked in. Ignoring her I went straight to the history of local surroundings. I spent an hour and a half before giving up. I walked towards the front door before I was intrupted by the librian.
" I didn't see you come in." Sweet tone which made wanna curl up and vomit.
" I erm... I can't find what I'm looking for it is okay."
" oh what are you looking for? I shall look on our system"
I told her what I needed and her faced dropped.
"I am sorry we don't have that here. Maybe go to your head teacher and change the subject, I've had everyone looking for books today for their essays" she smiled and waved me good bye.
<p>When I got home dinner was served and I couldnt eat. I asked them both what happened to streamside village and the laughed.
"no one know. Why do you ask?"
"it is my essay and so far no one has been able to help"
Mum and dad looked at each other and shrugged. They couldn't help either.
<p>As I laid in bed that night I thought of different ways to set the essay when a brilliant plan hit me. I would go into the village tomorrow and see if there was anything that I could write about. I smiled as I was proud of my brilliant plan.
I got up at 5 am making sure I was up a little earlier than my parents. I packed a lunch and left s note to tell them I went out. I grabbed my bike and rode towards streamside village. It took about an hour and half before getting to the entrance. I collasped onto one of the grassy hills before taking a big gulp of water down. The sun was bright and rising quickly, I allowed my legs to stop hurting before continuing.
 I took out my camera and took a picture of the outside. It looked pretty normal. Odd building falling a part but nothing. I walked towards the road that was into the entrance of the village. It was called streamside due to on the 12th of July every year a stream would appear for a day and then disappear. This was the entrance sign. I walked in pedaling my bike to on of the houses before resting it against the brick work. I put my backpack on and made my way slowly. I had noted down what the sign said and took a picture of it. This was a tiny village, the main road became dusty and rugged. There was houses either side of the road. About 15 small cottages and some bungalows. I took a picture of the road and made my way towards the village hall and church. The hall was locked tight and the church door was stiff. But with a little bit of force I busted the door open. I looked around as 17 years worth of dust had formed in this place. I could see my foot prints on the floor as I walked up the centre carpet towards the altar. The statue of Jesus looked up towards the little light that had been formed due to the slowly crumbling roof. A bag of equipment was on the altar, barely anything left in the bag all just poured over the altar.
"Wait, that is gold..." My face dropped as I saw a statue of gold. They had left a gold statue and no one had thought that they would have gone back to get it. I made my way around to the back to make sure that there was no one still here.
I left taking pictures of the money, gold and jewels that had been left by the inhabitants of steamside village. I sat at 11 am to have my lunch as I had missed my breakfast. I ate my sandwhich watching the empty fields for life. I wrote down my thoughts which were
Not very many buildings and each in fairly bad condition. Still no reason for suspision of why they left. It seems strange that there is so much left behind.  coming back tomorrow at the same time but I will be sleeping in one of the cottages. I need to get into the village hall but as far as I am concerned this would much better for me as I have next week off to get this essay done.
I had another hour in the village wondering round gathering the size. In total there were 30 houses, 1 village hall and 1 church. There was a little shop that had farm goods but the main produce was made by themselves. I had a quick sit down and then made my way home. I was concenrating on the road when a floak of sheep took me out. I rolled into a ball and allowed the sheep to run off. I got up with a few cuts and starting cursing at the sheep. I turned round to grab my bike into a farmer. He was not impressed.
"what are you doing here?" His voice boomed. I simply grabbed my bike
"bike ride, the sheep took me out off my bike. Sorry" I gently pushed off and made my home. My parents face were shocked when they saw the dryed blood on my face. I ate dinner and collapsed on my bed around 7:30. I was too tired to even think.
 At 4am and rubbed my head. I grabbed my bag and sleeping bag. I was so sore from the day before but I made my way out. I made it there in a little more than time than the day before and laid out my sleeping bag behind a rock as a wind breaker and slept for another hour.
I woke with the sun shining on my face and stretched. I grabbed all my things and made my way to the nearest cottage. I smashed my body weight against the door and sighed as the door didn't budge. I looked through the window, it was dark with everything still in contact. Using my bag I spun it around and smashed the window in. The sounded echoed through out the village.
I climbed through the shattered window and landed on the wooden floor of the abondoned building.
A piece of glass had cut my leg but I was too busy inspecting my surroundings to care about my slowly bleeding leg. I picked the bag up from floor brushing off the shards of glass the had coated it. It was a lovely house that was fully in tack. I set up my writing pad and equipment before setting up my camera to record the day events. I recorded the time and what I had found. I explained that I had broken into the house through the window know that no one lived here.
Once I had some writen evidence as well I made my way out with my camera and to the church to show what I had found. The door was still stiff and the church seemed a little less dusty. I made my points before seeing what I thought was a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment